The Intelligent Investor‘s analytical team accesses value investing information and ideas from a wide variety of sources. I’ve listed below many of the websites and podcasts that we use regularly, as you might not know them all and might find something useful amongst them. In return, Bristlemouth would love to hear about any websites or podcasts that you use or listen to regularly that we might not know about.
Earlier this month, Steve wrote a simple blog post on portfolio management software. But it was the comments provided by the Bristlemouth community that turned that post into something really useful. I’m hoping that with your help we can do something similar here.
Australian business news sources
- The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age – these broadsheets are becoming less relevant, but we still look at them every day.
- The Australian – has become more relevant since its tie up with The Wall Street Journal.
- The Australian Financial Review – we generally read the hard copy, perhaps because the first crack at an online offering was so ham-fisted. But apparently it’s better now. You need to subscribe for full online access.
- We also regularly turn to The Courier-Mail and The West Australian for geographic and journalistic diversity.
- This part of the ASX website is useful for monitoring company announcements.
- In recent times, Business Spectator has become a valid alternative to The Australian Financial Review.
- Yahoo Finance Australia is also useful for local news and data (such as historical prices).
Australian and international aggregators
An aggregator site pools information from far and wide.
- We generally use wotnews to find articles on Australian companies.
- Try Yahoo Finance or Google News when searching for the latest articles on international companies.
International news sources
- The Wall Street Journal and Financial Times are wonderful international newspapers. Much of the good stuff is for subscribers only, but we’re fans of paying up for high quality content.
- The New York Times also has impressive business reporting.
- We also read The Economist and Slate for a different point of view.
- For following the ‘news flow’, we also use Bloomberg, Yahoo Finance, Yahoo Finance UK and Google Finance.
- We also regularly find ourselves on the websites of traditional finance magazines like Fortune and Forbes.
Prominent value investors
- Guru Focus is an aggregator site for information on respected value investors.
- Berkshire Hathaway (a website which has often been down in recent months) is the source for Warren Buffett’s wonderful annual letter to shareholders. We likewise never miss the annual letter to Leucadia shareholders.
- There are many fund manager websites worth visiting, but we’ve highlighted the following four because of the excellent content they make available to all – GMO for the excellent research Jeremy Grantham provides, Kerr Neilson’s Platinum Asset Management, Bedlam Asset Management and the research of Michael Mauboussin from Legg Mason.
Investing newsletters (subscription services)
- The Intelligent Investor – Naturally, we recommend this newsletter for Australian stock research.
- Grant’s Interest Rate Observer is focused on interest rates and economic issues with a contrarian bent.
- The HCM Market Letter generally looks at things top-down, but is also contrarian.
- We love Outstanding Investor Digest for its unique interviews of great value investors.
- Value Investor Insight covers similar ground, but is published more regularly.
- Breakingviews.com is another site we look to for quality, timely insights into stock and economic news.
- Of course, none of our analysts ever miss an episode of The Intelligent Investor’s Stock Take.
- We like The Big Money, part of the Slate empire.
- Financial Times’ Martin Wolf also produces an interesting podcast.
- The Economist, unsurprisingly, also produces some good podcasts.
- Try Planet Money for something different.
- The Lateline Business vodcast often has some interesting interviews.
Please let us know any other resources that you find useful.
Ready to invest?
Visit this page for more information on how to invest with Forager.
Forager Funds is a boutique fund manager specialising in a value investing approach. We offer an ASX listed Australian Shares Fund as well as an International Shares Fund both aimed at delivering returns for long term investors.