What a year 2020 has been. Fear, boredom, euphoria and gratitude, in uneven helpings. Surely the word “unprecedented” has never been used so frequently.
At Forager, we end 2020 on a good note, with a healthy dollop of luck adding on top of the results from some outstanding stockpicking. Both of the Funds have delivered sensational returns. The team has come together in trying times and stuck to our processes and philosophy.
Let’s take a look back at some of our most popular content from the year, which you might now have time to read or watch again. Yes, this is one of those end-of-year rehash specials, without the B-grade celebrities. We hope you find something useful in it.
Dealing with market meltdowns
Much of our content this year was about dealing with a volatile and erratic market. Dealing with our human emotions was more important than any individual stock idea this year, and our blogs covered the fear and greed of the year.
1. Covid-19 Pandemic Webinar – At the height of the panic, we took a few hours to share our thoughts and address your questions. Note the date, 23 March. This webinar was recorded at the precise nadir of the March market meltdown. It’s astounding how much the pendulum has since swung.
2. How to Cash in on the Next Market Crash – This was our most popular blog post of 2020. The points Steve outlines in this blog are enduring, especially understanding that next time will be different too. Find out more about what to do when the market crashes.
3. Forager 2020 Roadshow – Unfortunately the team weren’t able to travel around the country to meet investors face to face. We recorded a digital roadshow with the help of Ausbiz TV. We were battling to convince people that there was still plenty of value in our portfolios, but you’ll see how many good ideas were presented.
4. Dealing with Investment FOMO – How do you cope with the fear of missing out in the stock market? The FOMO Blog and Video proved popular in 2020 too. If you are feeling your own FOMO now, it might pay to watch this one again.
Stocks that delivered astounding results
A multi-bagger – a stock that increases by several multiples of an investors purchase price – comes along once every few years if you are lucky. Forager has owned quite a few in 2020. If you have been watching the blog closely, you will have read about some wonderful investments.
5. Many degrees of Celsius – This energy drink company had already doubled by the time we were comfortable writing about the investment case for Celsius. It has increased another threefold since and been the largest contributor to the Forager International Share Fund’s stellar year.
6. The value case for Uber Technologies – It was controversial. It was uncomfortable for many of our clients. But our Uber investment has been a good one. This Uber blog outlined why the consensus was wrong about this global juggernaut and why it made a perfectly sensible long-term investment.
7. Farfetched reasons for holding your growth stocks – The stellar operating performance of some of our companies has often been matched by an even more impressive rally in their share prices. Luxury fashion platform Farfetch is the perfect example. If our Farfetch blog and video, Steve and Chloe Stokes grapple with when to sell a wonderful business.
8. 2020 Wrap Up – Steve Johnson reflects on the year, what has happened in the Forager portfolios and what he is looking forward to in 2021.
It’s our patient, long-term investors that make this business possible, and we thank you greatly for your support in 2020. We look forward to bringing you more of our content in 2021.
Ready to invest?
Visit this page for more information on how to invest with Forager.
Forager Funds is a boutique fund manager specialising in a value investing approach. We offer an ASX listed Australian Shares Fund as well as an International Shares Fund both aimed at delivering returns for long term investors.